What is Medication Management?
Medication management is a treatment system used by doctors and pharmacists to ensure that patients are receiving optimal therapeutic outcomes for the prescription medications that they may be taking.
Medication Management is used to cover a broad range of professional activities, such as:
- Performing patient assessments or a comprehensive review of prescriptions and their possible interaction or side effects.
- Formulating both short and long term medication treatment plans.
- Monitoring the safety and efficacy of any and all prescription medication plans.
- Ensuring directional or instruction-based compliance through patient education.
- Better documentation and communication between medication management service providers in order to maintain a high standard of care among medical professionals.
In short, medication management is a cumulative effort between pharmacies (and often healthcare providers and other medical professionals) to ensure that drugs are being used as prescribed while limiting chances for abuse and to ensure that patients are educated and able to use the prescription properly for their specific ailment.